Happy (Almost) New Year! We hope your holiday festivities were exactly what you needed to take a break from the demands of junior or senior year and get recharged. We have a new year’s resolution idea for you: set yourself up for success in your college search and application process.
To help you know exactly what you need to do each month, we’re continuing our monthly checklist series throughout 2017.
Now that January is upon us, things will start to move more quickly. Don’t panic! You’ve got this. This checklist should help you stay on top of everything.
For High School Juniors
- Continue to do your best in your classes—this is really important! This is your chance to further improve your GPA—and it goes without saying that if you improve your GPA, you’re going to have better access to more colleges and more scholarships.
- Take the PSAT Exams if you haven’t already. If you’ve taken them once, consider taking another shot at it to see where you stand vs. last time.
- Continue to seek out leadership positions in clubs, sports, and organizations at your high school or in your spare time. This will not only help you get into college, but also help you build relationships with teachers or staff that can give you an amazing letter of recommendation.
- Keep researching schools
- Talk to your guidance counselor
- Attend all the college fairs you can – call your local colleges and see which ones they are going to
- Follow schools on social media
- Try to refine your list at least once this month
- Research majors that might be of interest to you
For High School Seniors
- Triple check your list of deadlines for every school on your list
- Have you submitted your application?
- Have you sent your official transcripts?
- Have you sent your letters of recommendation, if necessary?
- Have you completed all the financial aid paperwork?
- Research and apply for at least two scholarships
- If the weather cooperates, try to schedule at least two campus visits this month
Check back with your list throughout the month, and try to check one or two items off every single week. If you find yourself with a lot of spare time, double up—seek out more scholarships, or look for volunteer opportunities to help make your application stand out.
Want to know what’s coming up in the rest of the year? Be sure to download our Ultimate College Decision Timeline.